a drive into the small valley of Franschhoek which
was founded in 1688 on land granted to the French Huguenots.
The drive from Stellenbosch over Helshoogte Pass
treats the traveller to some magnificent views of the Simonsberg
and the Wemmershoek mountains.
This is the valley where some of the Cape's most notable
homesteads are situated and Boschendal is one of
the most spectacular. The Huguenot Monument and Huguenot
Museum, which are situated in the small town, are of
Toit Classique Jewellery Studio on the corner of Huguenot
and Bordeaux Streets, Franschhoek, are dealers in diamonds
and precious stones and are specialists in custom made jewellery
The Franschhoek Tourism Association will be able
to supply you with a brochure giving details on the wine
estates and co-operatives in the area.
the road from Franschhoek to Paarl which grew from
1690 and is five years younger than Stellenbosch.
The town was named after the huge granite dome of rock which
overlooks the town. The Afrikaans Language Monument,
which was opened in 1975, is situated on the southern side
of the mountain.
De Oude Woning is one of the earliest surviving houses
in Paarl. The famous 11 km long Main Street also features
the Strooidak Church, Die Oude Pastorie Museum,
the Patriot Building and the Gymnasium. Around
the corner from the Gymnasium is the Afrikaans Language
beautiful homestead of Laborie, in Main Street, was
purchased by KWV in 1972. The buildings were restored and
the restaurant was built.
and Wine Tasting in the elegant new tasting room
are highly recommended.
The KWV cellar complex is the largest in the world, covering
an area of 22 hectares. The magnificent Cathedral Cellar,
with its barrel-vaulted roof and large carved red wine vats,
depicting the history of the Cape's wine industry, is spectacular.
The Paarl Wine Route Office in Main Street will be
able to supply visitors with a free brochure and map on
the smaller and very attractive town of Wellington.
Visit the Wellington Museum in Church Street and
the Dutch Reformed Church. Beyond Wellington is the
Bain's Kloof Pass which is a historical monument.
Built by Andrew Bain in 1853, the pass links Wellington
to Ceres and Worcester and the narrow winding road provides
magnificent views of the valley below.
The Wellington Tourist Bureau (021 - 8734604) in
Main Street will supply visitors with information on the
area and its wine route.