Peninsula - Inland
the city centre, the drive along the Eastern Boulevard takes
visitors along the M3 towards Muizenberg. Take the turn off
into Rhodes Avenue to Rosebank where Mostert's Mill
(1796) is situated. It is one of only two Dutch windmills
in the Cape. Further down Rhodes Avenue, turn right into Cecil
Road where you will find the Irma Stern Museum.
The Main Road passes the Presidents' homes, Groote Schuur
and Westbrook, both built on Cecil John Rhodes' estate.
If one turns right up Klipper Road and drives towards the
mountain and under the bridge, there is an entrance to Rhodes
Memorial. The site was chosen by Sir Herbert Baker and
Rudyard Kipling, both close friends of Rhodes. The design
is based on the Greek temple at Segesta, overlooking the sea.
is situated in Boundary Road on the Mariendahl Estate, near
the Rugby Stadium. The South African Rugby Football Union
Museum is housed here and is the one of the largest of
its kind in the world. Its exhibits date back to 1891.
National Botanical Garden is world renowned for the beauty
and diversity of the Cape flora it displays and for the magnificence
of its setting against the eastern slopes of Table Mountain.
This botanical garden, which grows only flora indigenous to
southern Africa boasts over 5000 species, including
favourite South African plants such as proteas, ericas, restios
The Botanical Society Conservatory houses succulent plants
from the drier regions of the country as well as special collections
of alpines, bulbs, ferns and stone plants (small succulents).
The garden is open 365 days a year from 08h00 - 19h00 (September
- March) and from 08h00 - 18h00 (April - August). A nominal
entrance fee is charged. The garden also has a gift and book
shop, plant nursery, coffee shop and restaurant.
walks leave from the Information Office at 11h00 on Tuesdays
and Saturdays. On Sundays during the summer months (December
- March) musical sunset concerts are held on the lawns.
Kirstenbosch, it is a short drive to the valley of Constantia,
the cradle of the wine industry in South Africa. The first
quality wines were produced here. Constantia today is divided
up into *Groot Constantia, Klein Constantia, Coleyn, *Buitenverwagting,
Nova Constantia, *Constantia Uitsig, Silverhurst, Bergvliet
and Witte Boomen. The present name of this Klein Constantia
is the Hope of Constantia, situated behind Groot Constantia
and next to Coleyn. There is another *Klein Constantia
which was built in 1790 and is situated at the end of Klein
Constantia Road. (*Functioning Wine Estates)
Constantia, take a drive to Tokai where you will find
the Tokai Manor House at the top of Tokai Road near
the entrance to the forest reserve. This house dates back
to 1795. The Tokai Forests offer pleasant walks and
Peninsula - East Coast
take the road to Muizenberg, which is an old-fashioned
village on the shores of False Bay.
tidal pool at St James and the little beach named Danger
Beach are popular. The attractive little fishing harbour
at Kalk Bay also boasts a tidal pool opposite the railway
Carnegie Library was built in 1910 and now forms part
of the South African Police Museum, together with the
Old Post Office and The Posthuys. The Posthuys (Post
House) is the oldest European house in South Africa (1673).
Rhodes' Cottage, on the Main Road, is now a museum.
The Fort now houses the Natalé Labia Museum,
which is used by the South African National Gallery as an
the corner is Fish Hoek beach, which is a favourite spot
Naval base of Simon's Town (named after Simon van der
Stel) is around the corner. The beaches are the main attraction
in summer and in particular Boulders Beach, which is
recommended for diving and safe swimming.
The South African Naval Museum in the Mast House, West
Dockyard, contains ship models and other naval relics. Nearby
is the Stem Pastorie which houses a collection of national
emblems; it was here that the music for 'Die Stem'
Follow the road towards the entrance to the Cape of Good Hope
Nature Reserve and Cape Point.